Follow by Email

Monday, May 12, 2014

Odd Thomas a Netflix Movie Review

Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin)

Odd Thomas is a movie I almost never watched. If it wasn't for a random suggestion on YouTube I would have never even heard of this movie. I’m pretty sure you've never heard of Odd Thomas either unless you read the book series written by Dean Koontz. Written and directed by Stephen Sommers, who previously created the Mummy franchise and directed G.I. Joe & Van Helsing, I expected a totally different tone. Going into this movie, I was looking forward to a slick flashy popcorn movie. Odd Thomas is slick and stylish, but has subtleness. Somers has toned down the visuals, which isn't really a bad thing as this was a very enjoyable movie. It’s really kind of unfortunate that Odd Thomas was swept aside.  I don’t understand why Hollywood makes movies then just lets them sit idle. Apparently there was a legal dispute of some sorts between the production companies that caused this movie to be delayed. After the disputes were settle the movie was quietly and very limited released. 

Stormy Llewellyn (Addison Timlin)
The origin story takes a back seat as everyone close to Odd Thomas (yes, that’s his real name) knows his secret. The titular Odd Thomas is played by Anton Yelchin who you might recognize as Chekov from the Star Trek reboot.  If you haven’t read the books, you might feel a bit lost at first. If you have read the books you might be in for a surprise as many of the supporting characters were left out of the movie. I haven’t read any of them but I hear Elvis plays a major part; and in the movie he is literally resigned to being a cardboard cutout. Odd “sees dead people” but not in the sad, emo-kid kind of way. Odd is happy being a short order cook at a local diner, he has a pretty girlfriend, and life seems alright. Odd is friends with the local police chief (Willem Dafoe) and helps him solve the crimes committed against his new ghost friends. Odd also sees demonic creatures who he calls “Bodachs”. These demons don’t really mean any harm; they just enjoy watching others suffer. Lately Odd has seen a very large number of these creatures which means something really bad is about to happen. This is one of those examples where bad CGI actually improves the film. The bodachs are meant to look weird and out-of-place. The swarms of these translucent shadow-demons seem to be centering on a very creepy looking man.  Odd and his girlfriend Stormy Llewellyn (Addison Timlin) go off on a Scooby Doo style investigation. I couldn't help feeling like I was watching the pilot to a TV series instead of a Hollywood movie. Odd Thomas reminds me of campy teen horror series such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Todd & the Book of Pure Evil. If you are fans of these sort or TV series you will love Odd Thomas. The ending of this movie throws you for a loop that’s unexpectedly emotional.  The female audience will relate to Stormy and appreciate the ending. Odd Thomas would make a great date movie. I just wish this was a TV series as I was left wanting more. 

Rating:   I liked this Movie, but I felt like I was watching a TV Pilot.

Odd Thomas is currently streaming on Netflix
You can also Buy the DVD

check out the trailer below...


Don't forget to comment, RT and of course follow me on Twitter!